Leaving Safely

What to take with you if you leave

Ideally, you need to take all the following items with you if you leave. Some of these items you can try and keep with you at all times; others you may be able to pack in a bag and leave with a trusted friend if possible.

  • Some form of identification.
  • Birth certificates for you and your children.
  • Passports (including passports for all your children), visas and work permits.
  • Money, bankbooks, cheque book and credit and debit cards.
  • Keys for house, car & place of work. (You could get an extra set of keys cut, and put them in your emergency bag).
  • Cards for payment of Child Benefit and any other welfare benefits you are entitled to.
  • Driving licence (if you have one) and car registration documents, if applicable.
  • Prescribed medication.
  • Copies of documents relating to your housing tenure for example, mortgage details or lease and rental agreements.
  • Insurance documents, including national insurance number.
  • Address book.
  • Family photographs, your diary, jewellery, small items of sentimental value.
  • Clothing and toiletries for you and your children.
  • Your children’s favourite small toys.

You should also take any documentation relating to the abuse – e.g. police reports, court orders such as injunctions and restraining orders, and copies of medical records if you have them.

It is essential to make plans for you and your children’s safety. A Crisis Plan booklet giving further advice is available from The Domestic Violence Team on 01986 835170.

For more information about Planning to leave an abusive relationship please see National Women’s Aid


National 24 Hour Domestic Abuse Helpline 0808 2000 247